Christmas Presents, Cake and Dog Well-Being

Recently Leroy managed to snaffle a Christmas cake out of the presents pile which was hidden in the bedroom. Little did I know he had snuck into the room, rummaged through the bag and found the handmade Christmas cake which was to be a present to my brother.
I found the remnants of the cake and plastic wrapping in the garden, I also found one fat happy and sugar high Leroy rolling around on the ground. I am sure he thought all his Christmas’s had come at once.

My mind went into overdrive a little, firstly I was mad at myself for not shutting the wardrobe door properly and then secondly my next concern was what was in that cake and would Leroy be ok with sultanas, raisins,cherries, sugar, nuts and all sorts of other products which I am sure are not so good for dogs.

I rang the vet and was told sternly that grapes, sultanas and raisins can shut down dogs kidneys and was asked if he was showing any signs of not eating, drinking or listless behaviour. I was told to observe Leroy closely over the next twelve hours and should there be any hint or signs of changes to his demeanour I was to bring him immediately to the vets. I was then reprimanded and
reminded by the vet to keep the dogs away from Christmas presents and specially those containing food. My face blushing a little red at this comment as I do consider myself very pet aware but even mishaps happen to the best of us.

Luckily due to Leroy’s size and the small size of the Christmas cake, he has not done any damage to his kidneys he has however had a stomach upset and has been letting off some fruity fermented smells and leaving little sloppy patches in the backyard. Sorry not a nice subject I know but it really needs to be highlighted how important it is at this time of year we keep our pets away from our tasty Christmas presents and special Christmas food.

This also goes for table scraps, be aware of what is not a good food item to give to your dog. Under no circumstances give chocolate, grapes, sultanas, raisins or onions. Make sure your guests are aware of this too.

Be aware of any changes to your dog. Below is a behaviour check listLeroy trying to find christmas treats
Signs of toxicity include vomiting, loss of appetite, diarrhea, abdominal pain, decreased urine production, weakness and a drunken gait.
Onset of signs typically occurs within 24 hours (though they can start just a few hours after consumption)

It’s easy to get caught up in the mayhem which is Christmas but remember if it smells nice and is within easy reach of our four legged friends they may find it hard to resist.
Keep these items up high and remember when you put the presents under the tree you will need to be very aware of where your dogs are at all times as they are quick and they can do themselves a lot of damage if they get hold of something they shouldn’t and it would be a sad Christmas period for you and your four legged friends spending time at the vets this holiday season.

We wish you all a Merry and Safe Christmas for you and your furry friends.

Stephanie & Catherine

Leave a Reply